Know What All The Parts Do
Instead of presenting you with the game's available parts from the beginning, Rovio forces you to unlock them all by simply playing Bad Piggies. That said, you should have a basic understanding of what each part does, and how they all work in tandem. Here are several pieces you'll come across.
Wooden Crates: Excellent for balancing your vehicle while also giving pigs a place to sit.
*Note: You cannot set a vehicle in motion until a pig is inside.
Bottle Rockets: Propel your vehicle up, down, left or right, depending on how you position the nozzles.
Wheels: These get the ball rolling, so to speak.
Motor: Great for keeping a vehicle moving while maintaining momentum.
Balloons: Not only do they float upwards, but they also take piggies along for the ride.
TNT: Tap these dangerous boxes to create a powerful explosion that propels pigs in multiple directions.
Unused Parts...No Problem
You don't need to use all the parts to solve a puzzle, so don't get overly frustrated because, upon building your newest vehicle, there are a couple wheels remaining. There are multiple ways to succeed in Bad Piggies.
Keep All Goals In Mind
To grab all three stars per stage, you'll need to:
A. Get the pig to the finish line.
B. Grab every star box along the way.
C. Finish within the time limit, when specified by the timer on the top of the screen.
*Note: Some puzzles don't feature a time limit. In this case, you may need to collect all of the star boxes instead.
Always Account For Physics And Balance
If your vehicle looks rickety, there's a good chance it'll fall apart well before the finish line. With this in mind, always try to create something as sturdy as possible, and give thought to how it'll behave in motion. Remember, you can always examine the current stage by tapping the magnifying glass icon on the top right corner of the screen during the building process, then pan the camera by dragging a finger.
*Note: It's a great idea to get the lay of the land before building. This way, you can account for hills, steep drops, jumps and other terrain.
Use The Environments To Your Advantage
Did Rovio leave a TNT box lying around? Do you think a specific hill will help you build just enough momentum to clear a huge jump? Should you pop a balloon while floating over a certain point? Think about these things during construction and while setting the pig in motion.
Mechanic Pig To The Rescue
When it doubt, call on Mechanic Pig, and the little porker will instantly build the best possible vehicle for a specific puzzle. Keep in mind that you'll still need to ferry the pig to the end of the stage while reaching the assigned goals.
You can score three Mechanic Pigs by liking Bad Piggies on Facebook. When those run out, buy more via in-app purchase. Just press the virtual button containing the cap and wrench icons (top left).
Struggling to build the best contraptions and coming up short on certain puzzles can drive a person nuts. On that note, don't let the game get the best of you. Put it down for a while, and don't give up. If it takes 500 vehicle designs to find the most ideal solution, so be it. The road may be long, but you'll reach the destination eventually.
Rovio Entertainment's newest iOS and Android release, Bad Piggies, plays nothing like Angry Birds. Instead of launching characters at forts made of wood, stone and glass, you assemble vehicles using a variety of different objects and set them in motion to complete a series of goals. It's an ideal game for those who enjoy tinkering with contraptions and experimenting with physics. In fact, it may take several hours to complete the Sandbox levels alone. Suffice to say, there's a ton of value, but as you'll soon learn, patience is indeed a virtue.
With this in mind, the pigs take center stage in this Angry Birds spin-off, where the object is to somehow ferry those diabolical swine from point A to point B (gold star number one) while picking up special boxes (gold star number two) and doing all this within a time limit (gold star number three). Achieving this, however, is quite tricky and borderline maddening. Success is heavily dependant upon your ability to not only build said vehicle, but also set it in motion while preventing this invention from tipping over and/or falling apart entirely.
That said, the developers at Rovio supply all the necessary parts in each level, be it wooden crates, wheels, motors, fans, bottle rockets, bouncy springs, balloons, umbrellas and other useful items, and what's especially cool about this is the fact that you don't need to use all this stuff to solve a puzzle. It's OK to leave a wheel or crate behind so long as your creation behaves as it should.
Assembly, meanwhile, couldn't be easier. You just drag the parts from the bottom of the screen to the middle, swapping them at will and/or changing their position via the arrows along the top; you can also scrap the whole thing by pressing the garbage can icon. Of course, if you're willing to like Bad Piggies on Facebook (three for free) or spend some real world cash, Rovio provides a Mechanic Pig that instantly builds the most ideal vehicle, but here's the thing. You still have to make it run. That helps offset the option of cheating. A smart move, for sure.
Now as much as we like Bad Piggies, it's obviously not for everyone, especially those who crave instant gratification. There's an unusual amount of trial and error that'll turn lots of folks off. What's more, Rovio didn't release a universal build. It's $0.99 on iPhone, $2.99 on the iPad with no Retina display or iCloud support. At this point, with several games and years of experience under its belt, the publisher continues to nickel and dime consumers.
So there it is. Bad Piggies excels at offering wannabe inventors the opportunity to put their thinking caps on and show off their skills. It won't please everyone, and the game exists in the shadow of Angry Birds, but if you enjoy piecing things together to see how they work, you'll definitely fall in love with these oinkers.
Game Introduction - Bad Piggies
Developed by Rovio, Bad Piggies is a sequel of sorts to the original Angry Birds. In it, players are tasked with assembling and navigating makeshift vehicles for the devious green pigs to gather eggs in. Gamesfortune.net’s quick start strategy will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
- To begin playing Bad Piggies, choose the cleverly named “Play Now” option at the top of this page.
- Once you have it fired up, you’ll be directed to this menu:
- Pretty minimalist, right? Let’s talk about what all of the buttons do.
- Options – When you tap the gear on the bottom left of the screen, you’ll have the chance to either view the credits or turn the sound off.
- Social Media – The downward-facing arrow will show up Facebook and Twitter options when tapped. You know, in case you want to let the world know of your love for swine-based engineering. Additionally, you can view a gameplay trailer from this area. Be warned, though: Doing so will take you outside of the app and to your browser.
- Achievements – To view Game Center achievements and more, tap the little trophy icon on the bottom left.
- Play – Hey, that’s kind of a big deal! To play the game, tap the button at the center of the screen.
How to Play
- When you tap the play button, you’ll end up at the screen above. You’ll only have access to the first set of levels to start, so go ahead and choose “Ground Hog Day”
- Great! Now choose the first level. You’ll unlock more as you go. On that note, unlocking those blue levels on the far right requires you to earn 8 stars in the four levels preceding them. Don’t worry, though: that’s a pretty easy thing to pull off.
- And here we are. Each of the six blocks above note a place where you can set a piece of your vehicle. The game starts things off pretty leniently, so all you really have to do here is place three blocks on the top three squares, and a wheel on each side on the bottom.
- Level Structure – The goal in every level is to construct a vehicle capable of making it to the finish. There are sidegoals along the way, such as picking up stars throughout the levels, as well as making it to the end in a certain amount of time to earn an extra star.
- Don’t Forget the Pork! – Remember to place your Pig somewhere within the vehicle you’ve constructed!
- When you have your pig placed in the vehicle and you’re happy with how it looks, tap the blue checkmark to the left. This will cause the level to begin, and (hopefully) your vehicle will begin moving.
- Safety First – If your vehicle crashes and becomes immobile, you’ll have to manually start the level over. To do this, tap the green button featuring a looping arrow on the top left.
- Skulls – There are several hidden skulls in the game. Some of them are tucked pretty far off the beaten path, but picking up enough of them will unlock a level for you. It’s worth it.
Understanding the Tools
- There are a lot of different tools and devices at your disposal in Bad Piggies. Let’s talk about what they are, and what they do.
- Bellow – If you own a fireplace, this little device probably looks familiar. You won’t be trying to keep any sort of fire alive with it here, though. Instead, adding one to your vehicle enables you to give it a little more momentum by tapping.
- Fan – Fans serve a similar purpose as the bellow, only you don’t have to continually tap to use them. You can tap once on the button at the bottom to activate, and tap again to turn it off. If you add one to the back of your vehicle and activate it, for example, it will move forward a bit faster.
- TNT – Some levels will enable you to add TNT to your vehicle, and using it at the appropriate time can remove obstructions that may keep you from moving forward.
- Soda bottles – Attaching a soda bottle and activating it at the right time can give you quite the boost. In fact, adding on one to two and aiming them downward can cause you to take temporary flight! They’re especially useful when you need to get over an incline, or when a star is placed somewhere above you.
- Balloons – No shocker here: A balloon can cause you to fly upwards. You can also pop them whenever you want, by tapping the button at the bottom of the screen.
- Umbrella – Umbrellas serve a bit of a dual purpose. If opened at the right time, they can be used to grab wind and move. Additionally, they can ease your descent downward
- Motor – With a motor attached, you can power up items like the fan and umbrella. Nifty!
- Don’t be afraid to experiment. Some of the stupidest-looking vehicles I made proved to be some of the best.
- You can place wheels on any side of your vehicle. The top, the sides, wherever you please!
- Stars are placed in some pretty devious places, including the opposite way of the goal. Always survey the level completely before you begin constructing a vehicle.
- If you manage to grab a star and reset the level, you’ll still have that star! You can ignore it from there on out, and focus efforts on unlocking the others.
- You can activate different-colored soda bottles at alternate times. This is important, as activating all of them at once will typically result in your vehicle surging forward and (hilariously) crashing.
You have completed Gamesfortune's quick start guide for Bad Piggies. Be sure to check back often for game updates, staff and user reviews, user tips, forums comments and much more here at Gamesfortune.net!
Do you have any Bad Piggies tips to share? Feel free to leave a comment below.